Some people are afraid of buying bikes online because it means you need to assemble them by yourself. In this article, we want to persuade you that it is not difficult and even a 10-year child can do it.
Tools that you will need to assemble a bike
Before beginning the assembly make sure that you have:
- Allen keys
- Phillips head screwdriver
- Cable cutter
Now we can start an assembly.
Assembly bike process
- Prepare all needed tools and open the bike box. Check if all parts are included.
- Most likely you will need to lubricate axles, quill stem, seat post, seat tube, and threads to reduce damage from friction and corrosion. It is better to read the manual to find which type of lubricant you should use.
- Attach the seat. Insert the seat post into the tube and tighten it.
- Install the handlebar. Begin with the fork. Make sure that it faces away from the bike. Adjust the handlebar. Tighten the stem bolts to fix it in the position if you are riding forward. Inspect the brake cables that are not knotted and then attach the handlebar to the bike.
- Let us move to the wheels. Install your disc brake rotors onto the hubs and tighten them. Now inflate the tires and check if they are seated correctly on the rim. It is better to attach the front wheel first because you need to accurately center it between the fork.
- The next step — pedals. Pedals have R and L markers which show from what side this pedal should be when you are on the bike. The right pedal is clockwise to tighten, while the left one is counter-clockwise to tighten.
- Install your accessories. If you want to have additional accessories like a bell, kickstand, rack for bags, light, or a bottle holder, you can install them right now.
- Check the gears. Raise the back tire, turn the pedals, and change gears. The change must be smooth. If not, you can adjust it.
- Checking the brakes. To make sure the brake levers are working properly, squeeze them. The brake pads must make contact on the rim without interference. If it is not so, adjust the brakes.
- The final check. Just double-check that all bolts and nuts are firmly secured and will not loosen while driving.
Recommendations for your safety
We recommend you use a bell, front and backlight, a mirror, and a helmet for your safety. A bell and the light will help you inform others that you are driving. Light is especially needed if you are driving on the road. You will need a mirror to see what is happening behind. Do not hesitate to wear a helmet to save your head in case of a fall.
Even if you do not have a manual at hand, assembling a brand new bike is an easy process. You just need Allen keys, Phillips head screwdriver, cable cutter, and a wrench. With them, you will be able to assemble any type of bike in just 10 steps.
🚴 Can I assemble a bike myself?
Yes, it is an easy process. You will need Allen keys, Phillips head screwdriver, cable cutter, and a wrench. The full guide on how to assemble a bike you can read in our article.
🔨 What tools are needed to assemble a bike?
You will need Allen keys, Phillips head screwdriver, cable cutter, and a wrench. With them, you will be able to assemble any type of bike in just 10 steps.
⚙️ Do bikes come assembled from Amazon?
No, bikes come unassembled and packed in the box from Amazon. You need to assemble them by yourself. But it is not difficult and you can read about the whole process in our article.
🔧 How do you assemble a bike from the box?
You will need just 10 steps. First of all, prepare all needed tools and unbox the bike. Then lubricate axles, quill stem, seat post, seat tube, and threads. Install the seat, then the handlebar, wheels, pedals, and accessories. Check the gears and brakes. Read a more detailed process in our article.